Every year there are 2.3 times more fires on Thanksgiving Day than any other day of the year. Seventy-seven percent of those fires originate from cooking. We’ve got some kitchen safety tips to prevent a fire from ruining your Thanksgiving dinner.
Remain Attentive When Cooking in the Kitchen
It’s easy to become complacent after cooking every day for decades. Sometimes kitchen safety flies out the window. Here’s a checklist of tips to remember when cooking in the kitchen.
- Keep sharp objects and knives out of the reach of children.
- Remain in the kitchen when cooking. If you need to leave the kitchen, set a timer, so you don’t forget that you’re cooking.
- Never leave the house while the turkey is cooking. Remember to check it regularly.
- Make sure you keep all pan and pot handles inward so that no one can pull them off the stove or bump into them, spilling hot liquid.
- Keep flammable objects such as wooden spoons, oven mitts, or towels away from all cooking areas in your kitchen.
- Keep children away from the stove, hot food, and the oven. Hot liquid or food can cause severe burns.
- Make sure the electrical cords of kitchen appliances such as mixers or blenders are out of the reach of kids.
- Keep the floor clear of items that may trip you, such as toys, bags, kids, or pets.
Proactive Ways to Prevent House Fires
There are a couple things you can do to be proactive with fire safety in your home. First, test your smoke detectors regularly to make sure that they work correctly. You can do this by simply pushing the button on the detector.
Also, keep your kitchen clean, especially the stove and oven. Prevent home fires by removing grease and dust. That’s it, as simple as a little cleaning.
A smart home security system with 24/7 monitoring is another solution to protect your home. It can save your family’s lives in case of a fire. Your alarm system sends signals to the monitoring center when it detects smoke or certain smoke signatures. Then the monitoring center contacts emergency services.
Keep these tips in mind, and have a safe and happy Thanksgiving.
Contact IBS Electronics & Security Today
As time changes, tools such as home automation move quickly from being a convenience to an indispensable tool. If you have any questions about home automation, please give IBS Electronics & Security a call.
- Automated Risk Assessment for COVID-19 Has Arrived. Here’s How It Works for Your Business - May 8, 2020
- Do Your Building Visitors Have A Temperature? Here’s How To Tell, & Keep Your Employees Safe from COVID-19 - May 8, 2020
- Staying Connected To Your Business During The Age Of Social Distancing - April 2, 2020